Skip to main content

ERacer Aircraft Construction Website

Our Goal: To safely build and fly the ERacer
ERacer Aircraft Homepage
ERacer Specs
Current Flying
ERacer Upgrades
ER CONSTRUCTION LOG
Chap 1-4 Fuselage
Chap 5 Nose Structure
Chap 6 Main Spar Construc
Chap 7-8 Cabin and Contro
Chap 9 & 13 Canopy/TDeck
Chap 10 Landing gear Syst
Chap 11 Wings and Winglet
Chap 12 Strakes and Fuel
Chap 15-16 Canard Constru
Chap 17-18 Engine Install
Chap 19 Cowling Construct
Chap 20A Surface Finish
Chap 20B Painting
Chap 21 Panel and Electri
Chap 22 FAA Inspection
Chap 23 Flight Testing
ERacer Landing Gear Kit
Eureka Wing Cores
ERacer Merchandise
Canard Covers by Doroth
ER Builders/Flyers List
Shirl Dickey's ERacer
Tom Koftinoff's ERacer
Erik Frank's ERacer
Cliff Cady's ERacer
Bruce Vinnola's ERacer
Rob Orsolits' ERacer
Tore Bjoelgerud's ERacer
Mitch Hargin's ERacer
Mark Fisher's ERacer
Andre Rousseau's ERacer
Tommie Turner's ERacer
Kim Riley's ERacer
Daniel Muller's ERacer
David Hanson's Canard X
Joel Aubry's ERacer
Jack Morrisons ERacer
Canard Aircraft Pictures
ERacer Newsletters
Comment or Contact Us
Site Map
ERacer projects for sale
CHAPTER 22       FAA INSPECTION 
 
 
AUGUST 2012
 
After the initial break-in which has so far consisted of 4 engine runs up to 300F CHT at 1500-1700 RPM,  I began the process of preparing the aircraft for the FAA Inspection.  There are several items that have to be corrected and some overall improvements to be made.
 
After pulling the prop and extension off to install the rear baffles,  I re-installed them and applied the safety wires.  I will add Bellville washers after initial flight testing.
Above left:  I had to create and build a Transfer unit that would reverse the cable action of the mixture control so foward would be rich and aft would be lean/idle-cutoff.
Above right:  I also had to rebulid the right fuel feeder assembly due to some leaking valves and fittings.
 
Above left: Added heat shielding to glass areas in wing root.
Above right:  I added toggle switches for my mags.  Key switch is just a decoy now.
 
Above:  Adel clamps were added to stabilize oil, fuel, breather, as well as my protected electrical lines
 
Above left:  Pulley guards added to lower rudder pulleys.
Above Right:  Airworthiness Certificate issued!!!!!   (I'm on the left) on 22 August, 2012
My DAR spent 3-4 hours going over all the systems of the aircraft.
 
 
SEPTEMBER 2012
 
Above:  After fabricating the wing fences, I layed up attachment pionts on the trailing edge...over plastic wrap for now. After cure I will remove, sand, paint and re-attach.
 
 
Above left:  I decided to paint an appropriate end to the stripe on each side of the lower cowling
Above right:  I added a fire extinquisher and pulled the right fuel probe for some needed adjustments
 
 
Above:  I added some extensions to the rear baffle to match the cowlings and seal the exhaust pipes. 
 
 
 
Above left:  I re-installed the left magneto.  I had experienced a broken spring on my impulse coupling during the 3rd start so the guys at Air-Tec fixed me up quick and sent me the mag back.
Above right:  The left fuel probe had been having issues so I just replaced the entire unit.  The new one works great. 
 
 
Above left:  Wing fences complete and installed.
Above right:  I added some extra heat shielding to the areas of the cowlings that were located close to the exhaust pipes 
 
 
Above:  After the high speed taxi tests and lack of elevator authority, I checked the canard incidence and found it to be to low so I had to do a little re-work.
 
OCTOBER 2012
 
Above left: Taxi tests also showed a need to stabilize the nose pivot so I purchased a beefed up NG-6A with roller bearings
Above center: I also discovered that the NG-15 casting that I had drilled out years ago to accomodate a Davenport shimmy dampener had not been exactly drilled straight resulting in a small slant to the nose tire and this is what was making the AC make easy right turns and difficult left turns as well as pull right at slow speeds so I have replaced the entire nose wheel assembly.
Above right: Testing also showed a flaw in my secondhand airspeed indicator so a new one was purchased and installed.
 
Now the Aircraft is ready for its first flight.......
 
  **  SEE Chapter 23  for First Flight  **