Skip to main content

ERacer Aircraft Construction Website

Our Goal: To safely build and fly the ERacer
ERacer Aircraft Homepage
ERacer Specs
Current Flying
ERacer Upgrades
ER CONSTRUCTION LOG
Chap 1-4 Fuselage
Chap 5 Nose Structure
Chap 6 Main Spar Construc
Chap 7-8 Cabin and Contro
Chap 9 & 13 Canopy/TDeck
Chap 10 Landing gear Syst
Chap 11 Wings and Winglet
Chap 12 Strakes and Fuel
Chap 15-16 Canard Constru
Chap 17-18 Engine Install
Chap 19 Cowling Construct
Chap 20A Surface Finish
Chap 20B Painting
Chap 21 Panel and Electri
Chap 22 FAA Inspection
Chap 23 Flight Testing
ERacer Landing Gear Kit
Eureka Wing Cores
ERacer Merchandise
Canard Covers by Doroth
ER Builders/Flyers List
Shirl Dickey's ERacer
Tom Koftinoff's ERacer
Erik Frank's ERacer
Cliff Cady's ERacer
Bruce Vinnola's ERacer
Rob Orsolits' ERacer
Tore Bjoelgerud's ERacer
Mitch Hargin's ERacer
Mark Fisher's ERacer
Andre Rousseau's ERacer
Tommie Turner's ERacer
Kim Riley's ERacer
Daniel Muller's ERacer
David Hanson's Canard Z
Joel Aubry's ERacer
Jack Morrisons ERacer
Canard Aircraft Pictures
ERacer Newsletters
Comment or Contact Us
Site Map
ERacer projects for sale
Chapter 20B   Painting 
 
After the 2 part epoxy primer was applied and the aircraft sanded I decided to go with a Marine Topcoat Paint called Pettit EASYPOXY.  This is a one stage urethane paint that can be brushed on or thinned and sprayed.  The paint is relatively thin and lays down nice but did take some practice to spray.  I started with the turtle back which gave me a variety of angles to shoot onto.
 
 
 
Above shows turtle back during painting.  I had to paint outside so I could only paint on hot, dry calm wind days.
 
 
Finished product...Turtleback painted.
 
I next painted the various flight controls. I used a large air compressor and wet paint gun.
 
 
I tackled the wings next.  The weather supported me for a good week of painting.
 
 
Here is a shot of the finished wing back in the garage.  As you can see, the Easypoxy lays down nice.  Its not perfect, but it will work.
 
 
The canard was a relatively easy one to shoot.
 
 
The fuselage introduced a few challenges.  I chose to not stand her all the way up.  I just took my time and it came out pretty nice.  There are at least 3 coats on all the parts.
 
 
A shot of the nose and the lower cowling which I actually painted later after the installation of the engine.
 
The finished fuselage back in the garage.
 
 
I decided to add a red stripe.  I painted it on using red easypoxy.  Later I added some thin black striping that can be seen in current pictures.  I also added my name and my wife's name to each side of the canopy.
 
 
Finished fuselage with stripe and names added....ready for an engine.