Chapter ten seems pretty difficult when you first look through it but everything came together very nicely. After cutting the holes in the side for the gear legs and clearing away the unwanted foam, A lot lay-ups began....
The two above pictures show the first lay-ups that make up the main gear linkage mounts.
Then more center lay-ups are added resulting in a very thick and very strong linkage mount.
The gear legs also require some additional glass lay-ups to further strengthen the gear leg attach points.
Left: The gear legs also require a pad to be built onto the end of the leg to put the axles at the correct angle.
Right: Here is a pic of the Matco dual brake assembly on the axle.
Left: This shows the linkage initial fit into the mounts that were show being constructed in earlier pics.
Right: The gear leg attached to the aircraft.
This is the reversible Olidyne hydraulic pump used to actuate the langing gear.
The above two pictures show how I used solid 1/4 aluminum tubing as well as -4 flex lines. The max pressure output of the system will be 1200 PSI though normally 1000psi is used to keep the gear in the retract position. The small black caps screwed into the lines with the white wires coming out are the 2 pressure switches. These were bought from Velocity co. The up pressure is set at 1000psi and the down pressure is 600psi. Solenoid switches are also used in the switch set-up.
Some of the hydraulic flex lines running from the nose gear actuator.
Above is the main gear mounting hardware that was originally supplied with the gear system.
These 2 pictures show how the linkage works with the gear in the retracted (left) and the extended(right) positions.
This shows an FE-11 gas spring that I added to the system to ensure the gear stays in the overcenter/down position when hydraulic pressure is off or lost.
The above pics show two different configurations for the wheel mounts. In the left picture, a 1/2" aluminum block is utilized as a backplate for the axle mounting to the gear leg. The right picture shows a solid aluminum "Talon" that slips over the gear leg and provide a solid axle mounting surface. Either option works great.
Left: The nose gear wheel well being layed-up .
Right: This is actually a later picture showing the newest nose pivot system that utilizes taper bearings and is much beefier and reliable that original Brock Co. fittings.
The above two pictures show the nose gear construction. The left shows the foam being fitted and shaped to create the nose wheel well cover that attaches to the nose strut. The right is a shot of the finished product.
Above is a pic of the nose gear linkage prior to attachment to the nose strut and to the hydraulic system. The red shock strut will actually swing forward and down through the bottom of the fuselage and attach to the gear strut.
This shows the linkage hooked up to the nose gear strut. I was actually purging the hydraulic lines in this picture. That is why the forward flex line is attached to a clear flexible tube and not the hydraulic actuator.
The 2 above pictures show how the main gear fuselage covers are attached to the main gear leg. The aircraft is upside down is these pictures. I used 6 ply bi-directional glass to fabricate the covers.